Hottop Home Coffee Roaster KN-8828B-2-K
The newly designed KN-8828B-2-K now gives the user complete manual control of all roast parameters. Simply plug the roaster in and press the "POWER/START" button three times and the roasting process begins. Add the beans when the machine "beeps" (or at your preferred drop-in temperature) and you can either allow it to roast and then eject the beans automatically or you can manually end the roast at any time. As the user advances in their knowledge of coffee roasting, the various parameters of the roast can be easily controlled via the control panel. This Hottop model now comes equipped with a new thermocouple which gives faster and more accurate temperature readings. For more on the thermocouple, read below. The Hottop also comes in a fully programmable model, the KN-8828P-2.
- Maximum Temperature and Maximum Roast Time can be set before the roast begins and the Fan Speed and Heating Element Power can be modified during the roast.
- Ability to Store Three Roast Profiles: At the conclusion of your roast (after the cooling of the beans is completed), the machine will beep and you will be presented with "Stor" in the display. At that time you can easily save the completed roast into non-volatile memory, including all the changes you have made. Up to three roasts can be saved in this manner. A stored roasting profile can be easily selected at the start of a roast, and that profile can be changed during the roast as described above, and then saved again at the end of the process.
- New K-Style Thermocouple: The Hottop has gained a dedicated following among many home roasters. The love for the Hottop has caused many to add one key feature to the Hottop through a fairly complicated modification: a thermocouple. Until now, if one of these dedicated Hottop users wanted to know a more precise bean temperature than the general environmental temperature given by the original hottop button-style thermal sensor, they have had to buy a thermocouple and install it themselves. The Hottop basic model now comes with a new k-style thermocouple which extends out from the rear wall and provides a more accurate display of the bean temperature as well as a faster response time.
- Roast cycle: 12 to 22 minutes (varies with model). User can add time at end if necessary as well as end roast at any time
- Capacity: 225g - 300g per roasting (250g optimal)
- External cooling tray with agitation arm and cooling fan. Beans cool in 4 to 5 minutes
- Large 4 inch viewing window gives a view of the beans during roasting
- Heat element: 750 Watts
- Steel Drum: 4 x 8 inches
- Audible signaling of roast progress. This roaster is extremely quiet compared to other home roasters.
- Manual Emergency eject pin.
*Image is a representation. Actual product may vary based on model, size, and options selected.
Hario Skerton grinder is handy for manual home and travel grinding, it can also be slightly more cumbersome for an extended road trip where only a small amount of grinding will be done (for a more detailed comparison of the two grinders, check out this blog post: Hario Skerton vs. Mini Mill). For those trips (or homes) where a minimal amount of grinding is needed, the Hario Mini Mill Slim is the perfect grinding solution. The Mini Mill employs adjustable conical ceramic burrs for grinding any of the wide range of grinds employed in today’s coffee market. It can effortlessly handle 24 grams of anything from fine espresso to a coarse French Press setting. Because of its lightweight (0.5 lbs) and sleek plastic body, the Mini Mill easily fits into small carrying bags and suitcases without adding a lot of extra weight. This, in conjunction with the Aerobie AeroPress coffee maker, has the propensity to make excellent coffee anywhere hot water and fresh beans are available.
The Hario Mini Mill is a traveling coffee enthusiast’s dream come true.... and with its ability to grind to the fine quality needed for espresso, it can be paired with a hand-held travel espresso maker such as the mypressi TWIST (and an excellent choice of beans) to achieve a quality rivaling the product found in many high-end espresso machines. Whether the need is grinding beans for a french press, Aeropress, or mypressi, the Mini Mill Slim is the perfect travel solution.
$81.98It can be difficult in the world of specialty coffee to find a brewer that not only looks fantastic but also produces a fantastic product. Eva Solo has done an exceptional job of combining both elements into the Cafe Solo. The Solo seems a little strange upon first glance for the very reason that it may be the first coffee brewer of its kind: one that is clothed. The designers at Eva Solo had the ingenious idea of using the same material that keeps divers warm (neoprene) and wrapping it around the glass carafe... thus keeping the coffee hot during the 4 minute brewing period.
Not only are its looks something to take seriously, but the Solo's coffee is not to be underestimated. Because of its use of "total immersion" brewing (similar to that of a french press), the grounds are evenly and completely submersed in water. This provides extraction that is difficult to achieve by other methods of brewing. It is advisable, however, that once the 4 minutes of extraction is complete, the coffee should be immediately served or transferred into a thermal pot (we recommend one of the Zojirushi carafes). This will prevent over-extraction from taking place which results in a bitter tasting coffee.
The Cafe Solo is unquestionably a unique and exceptional specialty coffee manual brewer. Because of its simple usability and superior design, the Cafe Solo is a force to be reckoned with in the specialty coffee world.
One of the top coffee grinder manufacturers has just released one of the most versatile grinders to date. With the capability of grinding from French press to espresso, the Mahlkonig Pro M provides the grinding range that would normally require two separate grinders. The grinding range combined with features like the "hands free" operation and break functionality help make this grinder ideal for both low-medium volume commercial settings and home use.