You are here
Home Brewing Starter Kit
Click here to see why.
This product has options:
Free Black & White Coffee with this item! From now until Dec. 31st, you can add a free coffee voucher to your order while supplies last. Just select the Free Coffee Coupon when adding this item to your cart. The voucher is redeemable at Black & White's web store for one free bag of beans up to $18 with free standard shipping. You can redeem any time online until Feb 1, 2018, and they'll roast and ship your beans fresh to order! Limit 1 voucher per order. See our Deals Page for other qualifying items.
Introducing the new and improved Home Brewing Starter Kit! In an effort to make this bundle more affordable to the beginner jumping into the world of craft coffee brewing, we've traded out the Baratza Encore for the Hario Skerton Plus Hand Grinder and the Jennings CJ4000 scale. This adds an integral piece to the beginner's home brewing set-up (a scale), while allowing us to make this our most affordable home brewing starter kit to date! This bundle includes everything the beginner needs: Chemex Pour Over Brewer, Skerton Plus Burr Grinder, Jennings CJ4000 Scale, Hario Buono Pouring Kettle, and Filters. For those wanting a kit that offers an electric burr grinder, see our Ultimate Home Brewing Kit. See all the details on what this bundle includes below.
- The Chemex is a uniquely designed hour-glass brewer/server that uses specially designed filters to produce a clean cup of coffee.
- This hourglass shaped flask is made entirely of glass, helping it to not absorb odors or chemical residues.
- Capacity: 8 cup/40 oz. You may select the 6 cup/30 oz capacity or 10 cup/50 oz capacity by adding the bundle to your cart and selecting from the available options listed.
- This bundle includes a box of the Chemex Bonded White Circular Coffee Filters, 100 count. Other filters may be selected.
- Available in either the wooden collar or glass handle model (to choose style, select from options above).
- For more information, see our Chemex listings:
Hario Skerton Plus Hand Grinder:
- The Hario Skerton Plus is a hand grinder that features adjustable conical ceramic burrs.
- Grind setting is adjustable.
- Dishwasher safe.
- For more information, see our Hario Skerton Plus Hand Grinder listing.
Hario Buono Kettle:
- The Hario Buono Kettle is the most widely used kettle for pour-over coffee brewing.
- Designed out of stainless steel, the lightweight kettle allows for slow and controlled pour.
- Select your size (1.2L or 1L) from the options above.
- For more information, see our Hario Buono Kettle listing.
Jennings CJ4000 Scale:
- Reads in Grams, Ounces, and Pounds.
- Weight displayed in .5 gram increments.
- Auto-Off feature can be disabled to ensure the scale doesn't cut off while you're measuring your brew.
- For more information, see our Jennings CJ4000 listing.
Chemex Brewing Instructions:
- Open the Chemex-Bonded® Coffee Filter into a cone. One side should have three layers. Place the cone in the top of your coffeemaker with the thick portion toward the pouring spout.
- Using Regular or Automatic Grind coffee only, put one rounded tablespoon of coffee per 5 oz. cup into the filter cone. If you prefer stronger coffee, use more; there is never any bitterness in coffee brewed using the Chemex® method.
- When the water is boiling, remove it from the heat until it stops boiling vigorously. It should now be at about 200ºF, a perfect brewing temperature. Pour a small amount of water over the coffee grounds, just enough to wet them without floating. This is important because it allows the grounds to "bloom," so the desirable coffee elements can be released.
- After this first wetting simply pour more water, soaking the grounds each time, but keeping the water level well below the top of the coffeemaker. Once the desired amount of coffee is brewed, dispose of the spent grounds by lifting the filter out of the coffeemaker. And that's it! You are now ready to enjoy a perfect cup of coffee!
|Manufacturer:||Chemex / Hario / Jennings|
|Model:||CM-8A / FC-100 / MSCS-2TB / VKB-120HSV / SCCJ4000BK|
|Combined Website Price:||$176|
|Width of Chemex:||6"|
|Depth of Chemex:||6"|
|Height of Chemex:||9-1/4"|
ChemexThe Chemex® coffeemaker was invented by chemist Peter J. Schlumbohm, Ph.D., in 1941. Being a doctor of Chemistry, he was very familiar with laboratory apparati and the methods of filtration and extraction. He applied this knowledge when designing his coffeemaker by modifying the laboratory funnel, adding an "air channel" and a pouring spout. He added the "air channel" so the air displaced by the liquid dripping into the vessel could easily escape past the laboratory filter paper. Over the years, these items have been recognized as outstanding examples of American Design. In 1956, the Chemex coffee maker was selected by the Illinois Institute of Technology as one of the best-designed items of modern times, the only coffee brewer chosen for the award. The coffee maker and the water kettle are in the permanent collections of museums such as the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Smithsonian, the Philadelphia Museum and the Corning Museum located in Corning, NY. When it comes to exceptionally tasting coffee made from a simple but elegant process, the Chemex has no rival.
bladnik26 Verified Buyer
4 / 5 stars
Was this review helpful? 0 0