Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
The Baratza Encore Coffee Grinder has some big shoes to fill. For the past few years, the Baratza Maestro and Baratza Maestro Plus have set the bar for quality coffee grinding at home. The Baratza Encore has evolved out of the Maestro and Maestro Plus to bring about even greater grinding capabilities at the same affordable price. With updated hardened steel burrs and a new gear box, the Encore grinder brings the capability of grinding for espresso to Baratza's introductory model. The Encore has retained the front pulse button featured on the Maestro Plus to allow for easy on-demand grinding, and reverted the side on/off switch to a multi-directional on/off rather than the previous timer knob. With the improvements of the updated burrs and Baratza's Gearbox 2.0, Baratza has once again provided an unprecedented combination of quality and affordability for home coffee drinkers everywhere.
- Burrs: Updated 40mm hardened steel conical burrs
- Grind Adjustment: 40 settings from fine to coarse allows a grind range of 250 to 1200 microns
- Motor: A 450 RPM DC motor with gear speed reducer helps keep the beans cool while grinding. Gear speed reducer also reduces noise as well as heat and static build up. The circuitry is equipped with an automatically resetting thermal cutoff switch.
- Gearbox 2.0: Adds increased strength and durability of the drive transmission, all the while decreasing the noise output. The new gearbox includes a new drive shaft, motor mounting plate and bushings, as well as a new drive gear made of 15% glass filled thermo plastic. This thermo plastic is quieter than the prior metal gear, wears better, and is more shock resistant. During Baratza's testing of the Encore, stainless steel screws were thrown into the burrs, and in every case the motor/gear/burrs stopped immediately due to the thermal cutout, helping preserve the gears. The gearbox is automatically-resettable if this were to happen.
- On-Demand Grinding: Front-mounted pulse button allows for easy, on-demand grinding, helpful for when you're grinding directly into a brew basket.
- Hopper Capacity: 8oz (227 g)
- Grounds Bin Capacity: 5oz (142 g)
- Dimensions: 4.7" x 13.8" x 6.3"
- Weight: 7 lbs
- Power Rating: 110V AC 50/60Hz 1 Amp
- Safety Listing: UL/CSA/CE/EK
- Warranty: One year
Compak is a company dedicated to quality and craft. Their newest endeavor is a line of espresso grinders that raises the bar on control and efficiency. Aptly named "Fresh" for its innovative design and functionality, these grinders were created from conversations with baristas around the world and from the experience of a company that has been around for over 50 years. The K-10 Fresh offers a number of innovative features including: the ability to pre-set the the dosing time for a single and double shot to within a tenth of a second, manual push-button doser that keeps time of amount dosed on the digital display, and a completely new dosing system, electronics and control system. Also, the electronic display shows the selected grinding point, a configurable warning to change the burrs, promotional message with your logo, shot counter, and multi-language display.
Hario Skerton grinder is handy for manual home and travel grinding, it can also be slightly more cumbersome for an extended road trip where only a small amount of grinding will be done (for a more detailed comparison of the two grinders, check out this blog post: Hario Skerton vs. Mini Mill). For those trips (or homes) where a minimal amount of grinding is needed, the Hario Mini Mill Slim is the perfect grinding solution. The Mini Mill employs adjustable conical ceramic burrs for grinding any of the wide range of grinds employed in today’s coffee market. It can effortlessly handle 24 grams of anything from fine espresso to a coarse French Press setting. Because of its lightweight (0.5 lbs) and sleek plastic body, the Mini Mill easily fits into small carrying bags and suitcases without adding a lot of extra weight. This, in conjunction with the Aerobie AeroPress coffee maker, has the propensity to make excellent coffee anywhere hot water and fresh beans are available.
The Hario Mini Mill is a traveling coffee enthusiast’s dream come true.... and with its ability to grind to the fine quality needed for espresso, it can be paired with a hand-held travel espresso maker such as the mypressi TWIST (and an excellent choice of beans) to achieve a quality rivaling the product found in many high-end espresso machines. Whether the need is grinding beans for a french press, Aeropress, or mypressi, the Mini Mill Slim is the perfect travel solution.
Few advancements in espresso machine technology over the past fifty years could be called revolutionary. The latest advancement featured in La Marzocco's Strada Electronic Paddle (EP) is one that has earned that title. Pressure profiling was first introduced into the mass market in 2009 by the Slayer Espresso Machine. The La Marzocco Strada takes this new technology to the next level by allowing the barista to save up to four pressure profiles at any given time. Along with the ability to save profiles, each group has a digital display that shows the temperature (±0.1°C), shot time, and current bars of pressure (±.1 Bar). The Strada perfectly combines the durability and workmanship of La Marzocco with the technology of the future.