Home Brewing Starter Kit
Chemex + Kone
Introducing the new and improved Home Brewing Starter Kit! In an effort to make this bundle more affordable to the beginner jumping into the world of craft coffee brewing, we've traded out the Baratza Encore for the Hario Skerton Plus Hand Grinder and the Jennings CJ4000 scale. This adds an integral piece to the beginner's home brewing set-up (a scale), while allowing us to make this our most affordable home brewing starter kit to date! This bundle includes everything the beginner needs: Chemex 6 Cup Pour Over Brewer, Skerton Plus Burr Grinder, Jennings CJ4000 Scale, Hario Buono 1.2 L Pouring Kettle, and Filters. For those wanting a kit that offers an electric burr grinder, see our Ultimate Home Brewing Kit. See all the details on what this bundle includes below.
- The Chemex is a uniquely designed hour-glass brewer/server that uses specially designed filters to produce a clean cup of coffee.
- This hourglass shaped flask is made entirely of glass, helping it to not absorb odors or chemical residues.
- Capacity: 6 cup (30 oz).
- This bundle includes a box of the Chemex Bonded White Square Coffee Filters, 100 Count.
- Style: Classic wood collar model (CM-6A)
- For more information, see our 6 Cup Chemex Glass Coffeemaker listing
Hario Skerton Plus Hand Grinder:
- The Hario Skerton Plus is a hand grinder that features adjustable conical ceramic burrs.
- Grind setting is adjustable.
- Dishwasher safe.
- For more information, see our Hario Skerton Plus Hand Grinder listing.
Hario Buono Kettle:
- The Hario Buono Kettle is the most widely used kettle for pour-over coffee brewing.
- Designed out of stainless steel, the lightweight kettle allows for slow and controlled pour.
- Capacity: 1.2 L (40.5 oz).
- For more information, see our Hario Buono Kettle listing.
Jennings CJ4000 Scale:
- Reads in Grams, Ounces, and Pounds.
- Weight displayed in .5 gram increments.
- Auto-Off feature can be disabled to ensure the scale doesn't cut off while you're measuring your brew.
- For more information, see our Jennings CJ4000 listing.
Chemex Brewing Instructions:
- Open the Chemex-Bonded® Coffee Filter into a cone. One side should have three layers. Place the cone in the top of your coffeemaker with the thick portion toward the pouring spout.
- Using Regular or Automatic Grind coffee only, put two level tablespoons of coffee per 6 fl oz. of water into the filter cone. If you prefer stronger coffee, use more; there is never any bitterness in coffee brewed using the Chemex® method.
- When the water is boiling, remove it from the heat until it stops boiling vigorously. It should now be at about 200°F, a perfect brewing temperature. Pour a small amount of water over the coffee grounds, just enough to wet them without floating. This is important because it allows the grounds to "bloom," so the desirable coffee elements can be released.
- After this first wetting simply pour more water, soaking the grounds each time, but keeping the water level well below the top of the coffeemaker. Once the desired amount of coffee is brewed, dispose of the spent grounds by lifting the filter out of the coffeemaker. And that's it! You are now ready to enjoy a perfect cup of coffee!